Govt funds research on value added spice products | Daily News

Govt funds research on value added spice products

Minister Daya Gamage with officials at the soft launch of ‘the Global Spice Road Symposium. Picture by Chaminda Niroshan
Minister Daya Gamage with officials at the soft launch of ‘the Global Spice Road Symposium. Picture by Chaminda Niroshan

Funds have been allocated to carry out research on adding value to local spices in order to expand export markets. Minister of Primary Industries and Social Empowerment, Daya Gamage said, Rs. 146 million has been allocated for research on spices which is being carried out by five universities.

At present cinnamon is the largest foreign exchange earner in the spice sector, Gamage said, adding that lack of human resources is an issue for the expansion of the sector. The spice sector can be developed further through value addition and innovation,” he said speaking at the soft launch of ‘the Global Spice Road Symposium (GSRA 2019) to be held from July 10 to 13 in Colombo.

Through the symposium, the Sri Lankan spice sector is looking at expanding the sector with technological collaborations and investments. The spice industry representatives envision that Sri Lanka as a main spice country and the growers and the exporters will be able to benefit through technological collaborations and knowledge sharing sessions during the symposium.

The main objective of this event is to create an upheaval in the main segments of spice, namely, agronomy, post harvesting, primary processing, technological intervention and value addition and export and commercials.

Along with product quality, the hygienic factor of low quality spices augmented through the use of health hazardous chemicals, which in fact has been a negative factor contributing to the diminishing demand for Sri Lankan Spices.

About 75% of cinnamon used in North America is cassia cinnamon. Most of this is imported from Indonesia. The remaining 25 % that is consumed in North America is Ceylon cinnamon from Sri Lanka. Both the United States and Canada largely consume cassia cinnamon. Mexico, on the other hand, largely consumes Ceylon cinnamon.

According to the Global Spice Road Symposium Secretariat, the main challenges and constraints confronted mainly by producers and exporters will be addressed in the forum to secure a holistic approach to identify the most feasible solution

 


Visit Kapruka.com Sri Lanka's Largest online shop. Over 125,000 unique categories such as Fresh Flowers, Cakes, Food, Jewllery, Childrens Toys and other Sri Lankan e-commerce categories. Low delivery cost to most cities here and free delivery in Colombo.

 

There are 2 Comments

It should clearly stated that no awards and even grants or aid will be given to those who export spices in bulk or unsorted form.

Great news. But, there is difficulties to go ahead. The system needs to be correct from the bottom level. Ceylon cinnamon is a unique product to Sri Lanka. Most of our cinnamon products export to Mexico as bulk. Mexico does not request high quality product (comparatively) and most of producers and peelers do not produce top quality cinnamon sticks with following common demand of mid or low quality products. We mixed up high quality parts and low quality parts of the cinnamon bark together, and selling for lower market. If the producers prepare high quality products, no proper demand come from intermediate buyers. Accordingly, it is difficult to find high quality Ceylon cinnamon in the general market. Commonly available sticks are filled with garbage of cinnamon parts inside. Nobody can guarantee what are things filled in inside of the sticks. Growers need maximum weight. Peelers need to produce maximum output within minimal time. Accordingly, there is many things to correct. Lot of discussions may going on at top level. But, most of growers don't know even this is a unique product to Sri Lanka and be worth such as gem. We are from True Ceylon Spices. Visit us at https://www.trueceylonspices.com/ceylon-cinnamon/

Add new comment