Use experience of elderly to develop economy- SB | Daily News


Use experience of elderly to develop economy- SB

The elder population in Sri Lanka which now stands at 12.4 percent of the total population, will reach up to 21 percent in 2025 and 25 percent in 2041, said Social Empowerment and Welfare Minister S. B. Dissanayake.

He said the population pyramid would take a drastic change in 2025. This would mark the start of a decline in the population under the age of 15 and a rise in the elderly population. The elderly population could be classified as the younger elderly population and the older elderly population. Those aged between 60 and 74 could be known as the younger elderly population.

This segment could contribute to the economic development in a significant way as their productivity is high compared to the older elderly population.

Therefore, it is necessary to create a mechanism to get their contribution towards an economic growth. Social Empowerment and Welfare Minister S.B. Dissanayake said the new government would provide the facilities required by the elderly and get their contribution to the national development drive.

Elderly people are our senior citizens.

They have a vast experience in their lives. We should obtain their knowledge on tradition, skills and culture for the betterment of the future generation.

It is our duty to look after them and keep them in good health," he added.

"Out of the elderly people in Sri Lanka, only 25.6 percent are economically active. The rest of 74.4 percent do not contribution to the economy. Therefore, we wish to get their contribution as well to develop the economy," Minister Dissanayake," said.


Visit Sri Lanka's Largest online shop. Over 125,000 unique categories such as Fresh Flowers, Cakes, Food, Jewllery, Childrens Toys and other Sri Lankan e-commerce categories. Low delivery cost to most cities here and free delivery in Colombo.