Anura Senanayake REMANDED | Daily News

Anura Senanayake REMANDED

Picture by Rukmal Gamage


The Criminal Investigations Department (CID) yesterday arrested Western Province former Senior DIG Anura Senanayake over his alleged role in the cover up of evidence in the rugby player Wasim Thajudeen murder.

Senanayake produced before the Colombo Fort Magistrate Nishantha Peris was remanded till May 26. A senior CID Officer said Senanayake was questioned by the CID on three previous occasions in this regard.

Senanayake was the Police Chief in the Colombo district at the time of the rugby player’s murder. Investigations into Thajudeen’s death took place under the direct supervision of Senanayake in 2012. It has been revealed that Senanayake instructed junior Police officers to record Thajudeen’s death as an “accident”.

Senanayake was known to be a close associate of former Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa during the Mahinda Rajapaksa regime.

Traffic DIG Amarasiri Senaratne was also questioned by the CID regarding this murder. Former Crime OIC of the Narahenpita Police Sumith Chinthaka Perera has also been remanded on the charge of concealing information with regard to the murder of Thajudeen.

The CID also questioned former Director General of Military Intelligence Major General Kapila Hendavitharana as he had obtained a detailed phone report of Thajudeen from a mobile network company after his death.

The CID officer said that he [Hendavitharana] had no necessity to ask for such a report although he held the position of DGMI.

The CID has already prepared a list of 16 suspects allegedly responsible for the murder of Thajudeen. Two HQIs on duty at Narahenpita and Kirulapone are to be arrested.

Statements are being recorded from nearly 180 policemen, who are witnesses in this case, sources revealed.

More than half of the personnel on duty at Narahepita Police in May 2012 have given statements to the CID. The former OIC of Narahepita police is also to be summoned to the CID, they added.

Thajudeen was brutally murdered on May 17, 2012 close to Shalika grounds, Narahenpita. His charred remains were found inside the car.


Producing the former DIG in Court, Superintendent of Police ShaniAbeysekara of the CID told Court that according to a statement given by an eyewitness, the former DIG had visited the place where Wasim Thajudeen's death took place in civil uniform at around 2:45 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. on May 18, 2016.

SP Abeysekara further said the suspect could be charged under Section 296 of the Penal Code for conspiring to commit the murder owing to his questionable role. The CID further revealed former DIG had given instructions to the former Crimes and Traffic OICs of the Narahenpita Police that the investigation into Thajudeen's death should proceed as a fatal road accident.The witnesses in the incident have been allegedly intimidated by the suspect, the CID further alleged.

President's Counsel Anil Silva appearing for the suspect contended that his client cannot be charged for conspiring to commit a murder without sufficient evidence against him. Defence Counsel alleged that Police are applying murder charges against his client for the mere fact that they want to remand a suspect. He moved Court that the former DIG be released on bail whatever condition the court deems fit.

Taking into consideration the seriousness of the offence, the suspect was ordered to be remanded till May 26.

At a previous occasion, Court had ordered to remand former Crimes OIC of the Narahenpita Police till May 26 over the same offence.

On July 27, 2015 the CID submitted to Court that the death of Thajudeen was not an accident but a murder.

While delivering the verdict, Colombo Additional Magistrate Nishantha Peiris on February 25 this year ruled that the death appeared to be a murder and ordered the CID Director to immediately arrest all suspects involved in the incident and produce them before Courts. Thajudeen was killed, apparently, in a road accident in Colombo in May 2012.

The CID had informed court that investigations conducted so far had revealed that Thajudeen’s teeth had been broken, the bones in the pelvic region also broken and his neck pierced with a sharp instrument prior to his death.

The CID added that the muscles in his legs had been cut with a piece of a broken class. Earlier, police maintained that Thajudeen was driving to the airport and had lost control of his car and crashed into the wall of Shalika Grounds at Park Road, Narahenpita, and that his vehicle had exploded within seconds of the crash.



Add new comment