Ashey Cader was a top class ruggerite and a referee | Daily News

Ashey Cader was a top class ruggerite and a referee

Former top class ruggerite coach and referee Ashey Cader should be remembered, for his good work on and off the field of rugby, He was a person who controlled the game and made sure the rules were followed by the players.

He died at the age of 85 in Australia in the mid 1980’s.

In 1948 Ashey Cader led Royal College with 14 freshers to knock the daylights out of Trinity College to win the Bradby Shield for the first time after the shield was introduced in 1945.

He was a top class number eight forward. He was a ruggerite who learned and polished the game at Royal College, he played under the leadership of N.W. Karunaratne in the previous year In 1948 the first leg was played on 3rd of July at Police Park, where Royal was able to score 6 points against -3. by Trinity Royal also won the second leg with the final score reading 8-6.

That year Royal College team was made out of players like Trevor Anghie, Desmond Van twest, A. Goonewardena, L. Panditharatne, Daya Perera,Dennis Hapugalle, Bala Sivaratnam, T. Arumugam, A.E. Bartholomeusz, Eustace Fonseka, Tony Anghie, G.T. Perimpanayagam, Daya Samarasinghe, and Geoff Weinman.

Ashey as he was popularly known joined CR & FC and gave his best and led the club in 1958 and 1959 to win the Clifford Cup Championship. He also played for the national side and his team mates were Malcolm Wright, John Arenhold, Brute Mahendran, Eardley McHeyzer, H. Numan, Gamini Weerasinghe,Brian Van Twest, R. Kinnard, David Currie, EV Farquar, AG Sharpe-Paul, Kavan Rambuwella, to name a few .

During his playing days he was admired for his leadership as the Captain of the national Team, his prowess finesse and style as a No. 8 forward, and for his debonair and dashing looks. He led his school Royal College, his favourite club CR & FC and the national side. He was a ruggerite who was 6 ft 2 inches tall—who put his build to optimal use.

Those were days when as a line out forward there was no ’lifting’; and one had to outjump your opponent to win the ball

He was also a top class referee and gave his best with the whistle, In late 1970’s when Kandy SC played – Police he handled the whistle at Nittawela, Due to a fight between this writer and a Police forward both were sent off the field by him, and soon after the match as he came to the pavilion, he called both the players who were thrown out and said shake hands and forget about what happened in the field and enjoy a drink it was all in the game.

Add new comment