AG concludes oral submissions | Daily News


 

Contempt of court case against Ranjan

AG concludes oral submissions

The Attorney General today  concluded his oral submissions before the Supreme Court regarding the first contempt of court case filed against former State Minister Ranjan Ramanayake for allegedly casting insulting remarks on the reputation of the judiciary and lawyers.

Additional Solicitor General  Sarath Jayamanna, who appeared for the Attorney General, informed the Supreme Court that Ranjan Ramanayake had repeatedly confirmed after giving statements to the media that he stands by the statement he made regarding the judges. He alleged that the respondent had made this statement deliberately. “Even though a rule had been issued against the Respondent, he stood by his statement after promising that he will never withdraw his statement,” Jayamanna said.

Supreme Court three-judge-bench comprising Justice Sisira de Abrew, Justice Vijith Malalgoda and Justice Preethi Padman Surasena fixed further hearing for August 24.

President’s Counsel M.A. Sumanthiran appearing for Ranjan Ramanayake will make his oral submissions on the next hearing date.

The prosecution and the respondent parties have already concluded testifying evidence in connection with this contempt of court case. 

On a previous occasion, all judges of the Supreme Court had determined to proceed with contempt of court charges against the Deputy Minister after perusing the transcript of the video footage on the alleged derogatory statement.

Ven. Magalkande Sudantha Thera and R.Sunil Perera, a retired Air Force Officer, had made complaints to the Supreme Court seeking a Contempt of Court action against Deputy Minister Ranjan Ramanayake for allegedly making insulting remarks on the reputation of the judiciary and lawyers at a press conference on August 21 last year.

Senior counsel Viran Corea appeared for the respondent. Additional Solicitor General Sarath Jayamanne along with Senior State Counsel Suharshi Herath Jayaweera appeared for the Attorney General.

 


AG concludes oral submissions in contempt of court case against Ranjan  [16-07-2020, 16:51]

The Attorney General today concluded his oral submissions before the Supreme Court regarding the first contempt of court case  filed against former State Minister Ranjan Ramanayake for allegedly casting insulting remarks on the reputation of the judiciary and lawyers.

Additional Solicitor General  Sarath Jayamanna who appeared on behalf of the Attorney General informed Supreme Court that Ranjan Ramanayake had repeatedly confirmed after giving statements to the media that he stands by the statement he made regarding the judges. He alleged that the respondent had made this statement deliberately. “Even though a rule had been issued against the Respondent, he stood by his statement after promising that he will never withdraw his statement,”. Said Jayamanna.

Supreme Court three-judge-bench comprising Justice Sisira de Abrew, Justice Vijith Malalgoda and Justice Preethi Padman Surasena fixed further hearing for August 24.

President’s Counsel M.A. Sumanthiran appearing for Ranjan Ramanayake is to make his oral submissions on the next hearing date.


Visit Kapruka.com Sri Lanka's Largest online shop. Over 125,000 unique categories such as Fresh Flowers, Cakes, Food, Jewllery, Childrens Toys and other Sri Lankan e-commerce categories. Low delivery cost to most cities here and free delivery in Colombo.

Add new comment