Case against former DIG postponed for January 16 | Daily News


Death of Havelock Sports Club Captain Wasim Thajudeen:

Case against former DIG postponed for January 16

The case against former Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Police, Anura Senanayake, over the alleged spoliation of evidence in connection with the death of former Havelock Sports Club Captain Wasim Thajudeen, was yesterday postponed for January 16 by the Colombo High Court.

When the case came up before Colombo High Court Judge Vikum Kaluarachchi, the accused was not present in the court and a medical report pertaining to his current health condition was submitted by the defence.

According to the report, prepared by Specialist Dr. Jayantha Balawardhana, court was informed that Senanayake was receiving treatment at Kotelawala Defense University Hospital after his final surgery, and that he was in very poor condition.

The medical report further suggests that it will take a few more weeks for the former DIG to recover. The Specialist Doctor was ordered to inform when Senanayake could appear in court. On a previous occasion, former DIG Senanayake was present in court on summons and was ordered to be released on a cash bail of Rs.1 million and two sureties of two million rupees, each, by High Court Judge Vikum Kaluarachchi.

The High Court also issued an order preventing the accused from travelling overseas without court permission. His passport was ordered to be kept under court custody.

Former rugby player Thajudeen was killed, apparently, in a road accident in Colombo in May, 2012. The Attorney-General had filed indictments against the former DIG under Section 198 of the Penal Code for spoliation of evidence.

The Attorney-General had named 24 witnesses, including Wasim Thajudeen’s sister, Fathima Thajudeen; former Narahenpita Crimes OIC Sumith Champika Perera; and Colombo Chief Judicial Medical Officer Prof. Ajith Tennakoon.

During the magisterial inquiry, former Western Province DIG Anura Senanayake, former Narahenpita Crimes OIC Sumith Champika Perera, and former Colombo Chief Medical Officer Prof. Ananda Samarasekara had been named as the first, second, and third suspects, respectively.

They were arrested over their alleged involvement in the cover-up in connection with the Thajudeen case. They are currently out on bail.

On July 27, 2015, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) told court that Thajudeen’s death was not an accident, but a murder. While delivering the verdict into the inquest, the Colombo Chief Magistrate’s Court, on February 25, 2016, ruled that the death appeared to be a murder and ordered the CID Director to immediately arrest all the suspects involved in the incident and produce them before courts.

The CID had informed court that investigations conducted so far had revealed that, following the so-called “accident”, and prior to his death; Thajudeen’s teeth, and some bones in the pelvic region, had been broken—and also that he had sustained a stab wound on his neck. The CID added that the muscles in his legs had been cut with a piece of a broken glass as well.

Earlier, police maintained that Thajudeen was driving to the airport and had lost control of his car and crashed into the wall of the Shalika Grounds on Park Road, Narahenpita, and that his vehicle had exploded within seconds of the crash.

Visit Sri Lanka's Largest online shop. Over 125,000 unique categories such as Fresh Flowers, Cakes, Food, Jewllery, Childrens Toys and other Sri Lankan e-commerce categories. Low delivery cost to most cities here and free delivery in Colombo.

Add new comment