Kurunegala shooting: Suspect who shot and killed SI arrested | Daily News

Kurunegala shooting: Suspect who shot and killed SI arrested

The Kurunegala Police arrested a suspect and recovered two weapons, allegedly used in a shooting where a Sub Inspector died and a sergeant and a constable were injured when they attempted to apprehend several suspects, in Kurunegala on Tuesday night.

The suspect was arrested last morning with a weapon believed to have been used in the shooting while another weapon was recovered at the scene of the crime.

Sub Inspector Lansakkara Herath Mudiyanselage Dasanayake Rathna Banda,(59), attached to Kurunegala Police, died in the incident. He was a father of two and a resident of Wanduragala in Kurunegala. He was to retire this December 1, according to police sources.

The incident occurred in the premises of a hotel at Rathkarawwa, along the Kurunegala-Minuwangoda road at around 10 p.m. on Tuesday night.

The Sub Inspector, who later died and the sergeant and the constable driver who were on night patrol, arrived at the hotel following a tip off after receiving via 119 stating that a hybrid car with forged number plates had been parked in the hotel.

The police further received information that several members belonging to an underworld gang were lodged in a room at the hotel.

Investigations revealed, the SI attempted to take two suspects into custody when one of them escaped after jumping over a fence.

The SI and the Sgt. And PC had chased them when the suspect shot at the three officers. The police also returned fire but the suspect escaped as the SI was fatally wounded.

A search operation was launched with the assistance of the Army and STF on the same night. One of the suspects was arrested while travelling in a bus with a pistol in his possession at Udabadalawa.

He is a resident of Anuradhapura. The other pistol was recovered under a pillow in the room where the suspect had lodged. Several mobile phones and three used pistol bullets were also recovered inside the car.

Kurunegala Chief Magistrate Geethani Wijesinghe conducted the magisterial inquiry yesterday morning. Investigations so far have revealed the suspects had rented out the white hybrid car and fixed a forged number plate before arriving at the hotel.

Investigations teams have recorded statements from the workers in the hotel and several others including the injured poliemen. Investigations are continuing under the instructions of Wayamba Senior DIG Ravi Wijegunawardena.


Add new comment