Wasim Thajudeen Murder: CID investigate telephone calls | Daily News

Wasim Thajudeen Murder: CID investigate telephone calls


The CID conducting investigations into the murder of former rugby player Wasim Thajudeen yesterday informed Court that they have initiated a comprehensive investigation into the telephone calls received by former Narahenpita OIC Damian Perera on the night Thajudeen’s murder took place. At a previous occasion, the CID informed Colombo Additional Magistrate Nishantha Peiris former Narahenpita OIC Damian Perera had received three telephone calls from the phones belonging to the Presidential Secretariat Office on the night of May 17, 2012 at Shalika Ground where Thajudeen’s murder took place.

Meanwhile, Deputy Solicitor General Dilan Ratnayake appearing for the Attorney General informed Court the CID has sent 26 body parts recovered from the SAITM institution in Malabe, for a DNA report, in order to ascertain whether the seized body parts at the SAITM was of late rugby player Wasim Thajudeen nor not.

Meanwhile, Western Province former Senior DIG Anura Senanayake and former Narahenpita Crimes OIC Sumith Champika Perera arrested over their alleged role in the cover up of evidence in the former rugby player Wasim Thajudeen murder were yesterday ordered to be further remanded till November 16 by Colombo Additional Magistrate Nishantha Peiris. The Court had refused to release the suspects on bail citing it did not have jurisdiction to grant bail for suspects who had been charged under section 296 of the Penal Code for conspiring to commit a murder.

The suspects have sought bail from Colombo High Court through two separate revision applications.

On July 27, 2015 the CID submitted to Court that the death of Thajudeen was not an accident but a murder.

While delivering the verdict, Colombo Additional Magistrate Nishantha Peiris on February 25 this year ruled that the death appeared to be a murder and ordered the CID Director to immediately arrest all suspects involved in the incident and produce them before Courts.

Thajudeen was killed, apparently, in a road accident in Colombo in May 2012. The CID had informed court that investigations conducted so far had revealed that Thajudeen’s teeth had been broken, the bones in the pelvic region also broken and his neck pierced with a sharp instrument prior to his death.

The CID added that muscles in his legs had been cut with a piece of a broken class. Earlier, police maintained that Thajudeen was driving to the airport and had lost control of his car and crashed into the wall of Shalika Grounds at Park Road, Narahenpita, and that his vehicle had exploded within seconds of the crash.

There are 3 Comments

Add new comment