Two hundred killed in Yemen Qaeda fight
YEMEN: At least 230 Yemeni soldiers were killed in fighting
with militants linked to Al-Qaeda that led to the lifting of the siege
of a brigade imposed three months ago, the defence ministry said on
Another 50 tribal auxiliaries allied to the government were also
“The southern military region lost more than 230 martyrs in the
fighting” to lift the siege of the 25th Mechanised Brigade’s base in
Zinjibar, state news agency Saba quoted Defence Minister General
Mohammed Nasser Ahmed as saying. Earlier, Saba quoted Vice President
Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi as telling European diplomats that 90 soldiers at
the besieged base and 30 Al-Qaeda leaders had been killed in Zinjibar
since militants seized it on May 29.
But the agency said the military casualties announced by Hadi did not
include dozens of soldiers from outside the ranks of the 25th Mechanised
Brigade who were killed or wounded in the battle to retake Zinjibar and
two other towns.
Ahmed, who inspected the Zinjibar base on Sunday morning, a day after
the siege was lifted, added that tribal fighters who fought alongside
government forces against the militants had lost more than 50 men.
The latest figures take to more than 280 the number of soldiers and
tribal fighters killed in the offensive to retake Zinjibar, capital of
the restive southern Yemeni province of Abyan.
The government announced on Saturday that the army had “liberated”
Zinjibar after its seizure more than three months ago by a group called
the Partisans of Sharia, believed to have links to Al-Qaeda.
Aden, Monday, AFP