ICC President condemns SLC’s US Dollars 70 million deal with IPL
President of the International Cricket Council (ICC) David Morgan has
criticised the US Dollars 70 million ten-year deal between Sri Lanka
Cricket (SLC) and the Indian Premier League (IPL) as “quite unacceptable
behaviour at a time the SLC has to honour its summer tour of England”.
In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, the world cricket chief has
condemned the lucrative deal between the Sri Lanka Cricket Board (SLC)
and IPL chairman Lalit Modi.
The ICC President has said the deal, which, if ratified by the Indian
Board - BCCI, would force the abandonment of Sri Lanka’s Test series in
England in May next year. Morgan has pointed out that only last month
that the world cricket governing body reaffirmed the primacy of Test
cricket with the unanimous agreement of all full members.
Sri Lanka’s has already undertaken to tour England from April 21 to
May 30 but the summer tour will overlap with IPL which is scheduled from
April 10-May 25. Since the series clashes with the latter stages of the
IPL’s second season, and several Lankan IPL contracted players such as
skipper Mahela Jayawardene, Muttiah Muralitharan and vice captain Kumar
Sangakkara will have problems in honouring their lucrative contracts
with the Indian sides in the IPL.
However, the Minister of Sports and Public Recreation Gamini Lokuge
has asked the SLC to release IPL contracted players. With this decision,
Sri Lanka will be forced to send a makeshift side for the tour of
But the England Cricket Board (ECB) seems to be in the wilderness on
the recent developments in the subcontinent.
“We have a signed contract with SLC in which we agree to play two
Tests and three ODIs. We have had no other contact from SLC,” an ECB
official was quoted as saying. The SLC will send a four-member team of
officials to Bangkok this weekend to finalise the Indian Premier League
The official discussions will commence on Saturday (18). SLC’s Chief
Executive Officer and former Sri Lanka captain Duleep Mendis, Secretary
to the Ministry of Sports S. Liyanagama will be part of the delegation
that will fly to Mumbai to finalise the deal with the Board of Control
for Cricket in India (BCCI).
Last week, Minister Lokuge said that the million dollar deal will
lead to the full participation of Sri Lankan players in the IPL and the
Twenty20 Champions League for the next decade.
The proposed deal was secured after the Sports Ministry decided to
release the IPL contracted Sri Lanka national players from next year’s
tour of England.
“More benefits are to be gained by our cricketers and the country by
participating in the Indian Premier League matches.
Therefore, we are sending a team of officials to India next week to
finalise it,” he was quoted as saying.
Reports said the BCCI has also promised to reschedule the cancelled
2006 tri-nation one-day series featuring Sri Lanka and South Africa to
India has offered to play another tri-nation series in 2010 which
will bring in close to US$18 million for Sri Lanka Cricket.