Medonza wins second stage of ‘Guwan Hamuda Papedi Sawariya’
CYCLING: M. Prasanna Medonza (Sri Lanka-German Friendship
Club) won the second stage of the ‘Guwan Hamuda Papedi Sawariya’
organised by the Sri Lanka Air Force for the ninth year in succession.
The event was held as part of Air Force’s 56th anniversary sponsored
by L.G. Abans.
Though Medonza won this stage from Dambulla to Colombo covering a
distance of 160 kilometres clocking 3 hrs 42.37 secs was not sufficient
to go away with the overall championship.
The overall championship was won by Sujith Kumara of Air Force who
had a time of 8 hrs 22.52 secs for both stages. Sujith could not make
into the first ten places in stage two but his timing on first counted
well for him at the end.
Second day’s race commenced from Dambulla at 11.30 a.m. and the
riders numbering 64 rode in a bunch as a peace parade up to Galewala.
At Galewela race proper began and the cyclists were in a bunch for
nearly 30 kilometres (Gokarella) when four riders pulled away to gain a
lead of about 0.5 kilometres.
The leaders were followed by a another bunch of riders.
All riders passed Kurunegala on the same position. When reaching
Narammala four more riders joined the leaders, kept on moving changing
positions very frequently. The rest of the riders were in three bunches.
The top nine riders extended their lead from the others. The stretch
from Giriulla to Kochchikade was the fastest recorded by the rider
during the whole tour.
The stage two winner took the sprint when he past Katunayake. The few
yards he gained at this sprint helped him until the end. At few places
other cyclists got past him but by doing so they failed to maintain
stamina to use at the final sprint at the finish line.
The event well organised by the Air Force Cycling Committee while the
Cycling Federation too conducted in a well disciplined manner. L. G.
Abans, the main sponsor for the event set a aside a total sum of over Rs.
350,000 as prize money.
In addition they also gave special awards to riders who past their 14
showrooms first, on their ride.
Results - second stage
1. M. Prasanna Pradeep Medonza (Sri Lanka-German Friendship Club).
2. B. J. Sumanasekera (Sri Lanka Ports Authority)
3. Supun Karunaratne (Sri Lanka Army)
4. Sanjaya Krishantha (Sri Lanka-German Friendship Sports Club).
5. Gihan Silva (Sama Cycle Club)
6. Amal Suranga (Sri Lanka Air Force)
7. Lalith Sisira Kumara (Sri Lanka Navy)
8. Priyantha Wijesinghe (Paragon Piddlers Club)
9. Mohamed Salif (Sri Lanka Police)
10. Sisira Kumara Getamurutha (Sri Lanka Army)
Sprint winner, at Katunayake Prasanna Pradeep Medonza
1. Sujith Silva (Sri Lanka Air Force) 8.27.52 sec
2. Lakshman Wijeratne (Sri Lanka Army) 8.28.02 sec
3. Nalinda Amila (Sri Lanka Navy) 8.29.11 sec
4. Samantha Lakmal (Air Force) 8.29.33 sec
5. Meemanage Perera (Sri Lanka Army) 8.30.25 sec
6. K. S. Kumara (Sri Lanka-German Friendship Club) 8.30.27 sec
7. Jayantha Pushpakumara (Sri Lanka Navy) 8.30.31 sec
8. Supun Karunaratne (Sri Lanka Army) 8.32.22 sec
9. Sisira Kumara Getamurutha (Sri Lanka Army) 8.32.26
1. Sri Lanka Navy
2. Sri Lanka-German Friendship Club 3. Sri Lanka Army
1. Sujith Silva (Sri Lanka Air Force)
2. Meemanage Perera (Sri Lanka Army)
3. K. S. Kumara (Sri Lanka-German Friendship Club)
4. Jayantha Pushpakumara (Winged Wheel Club)
5. Lakshman Wijeratne (Sri Lanka Army)
Best Sprinter - Lakshman Wijeratne
Mountain King - Jayantha Pushpakumara