Court to view video of Bamba horror
Colombo Fort Magistrate and Additional District Judge Gihan
Pilapitiya yesterday directed the electronic media which had telecast
the incident near the Bambalapitiya sea where a youth was assaulted, to
produce their edited and unedited video cassettes to Police to air them
in open Court on December 3.
The Judge observed that after the telecast of the video cassettes,
Court will decide what action should be taken.
Judge Pilapitiya made this order after lengthy submissions by Crimes
DIG Anura Senanayake.
DIG Senanayake said several electronic media had telecast the
incident more than 11 times giving a wrong impression to the public
about Police and requested the Court to issue an order directing the
electronic media to forward the edited and unedited videos to Court.
DIG Senanayake said that on the direction of IGP Mahinda Balasuriya,
four persons allegedly involved in the incident had been remanded. They
are a Police Constable, a Sub Inspector and two others. Bambalapitiya
OIC Police Station had been transferred to Vavuniya Police Station with
DIG Senanayake said Police will not endorse the constable's act. "He
had committed a serious act and should be punished," the DIG said.
Senior Counsel for TNL Upul Jayasuriya who appeared with Siraz
Noordeen, said they are prepared to forward the video cassettes required
If not for TNL this case would not have come to court," he said.
Senior Counsel Jayasuriya in his lengthy submissions requested Court
to view the cassettes first and to decide what action should be taken.
Senior Attorney Udaya Rohan de Silva appeared for MTV and Neelakanthi
Wijekoon appeared for Rupavahini.
The suspects will be produced before the Colombo Fort Magistrate
Court for an identification parade today.